Upside Down Caramel Macchiato is one of Starbucks’ unique coffee variants with a twist to a classic caramel macchiato. This delicious coffee drink is visually appealing and has amazing flavors with every sip. This upside-down twist is a treat if you are already a fan of classic caramel macchiato. It is a delectable and appealing way to enjoy coffee and will satisfy even the insightful coffee enthusiast.
But what makes it so delicious and popular among coffee admirers? How does it get gets such a great taste? Learn everything about your favorite Starbucks coffee here.
What Is an Upside Down Caramel Macchiato?
The upside down caramel macchiato is a super delicious coffee. As its name suggests, its recipe or procedure is the reverse of classic caramel macchiato. Though it is made with the basic ingredients, the order of adding them to a cup is different. The caramel syrup is added to the cup first, followed by the espresso, milk, Ice, and vanilla syrup.
What does upside down mean at Starbucks?
“Upside down” at Starbucks means asking for a coffee cup with reversed order of ingredients to be added. This process changes the drink’s layering, composition, and flavor, even though it is made with the same ingredients.
Common upside-down drinks at Starbucks include Upside Down Caramel Macchiato, Upside-Down Latte, Upside-Down Espresso Shot, and Upside-Down Caramel Snickerdoodle Macchiato.
In the case of upside-down caramel macchiato at Starbucks, it means making a regular Caramel Macchiato by reversing the procedure. Starbucks also mentions that this coffee is the best for people who want a little taste of everything in each sip.
Making an Upside-Down Caramel Macchiato
Making a delicious cup of Upside-Down Caramel Macchiato includes brewing and cooling espresso carefully and adding the other ingredients in reverse order.
The basic ingredients to make this delicious coffee are caramel sauce, espresso roast, skimmed milk, vanilla syrup, and Ice (optional).
Prep Time – 5 minutes
Servings – 1 drink
Ingredients Measures –
- caramel sauce – 2 tbsps
- espresso roasts – 2 shots
- Whole milk or skimmed milk – 3/4 Cup
- Vanilla syrup – 1/2 tbsps
- Ice cubes (in the case of the iced version)
- Step 1: Begin with brewing some fresh espresso using single or double espresso and your preferred brewing method. Keep it aside.
- Step 2: Heat the milk in a pan or microwave until it comes to the first boil.
- Step 3: Now, take a cup or glass, or jar of your choice and add the caramel to it.
- Step 4: Pour the prepared espresso coffee.
- Step 5: Then slowly add the warm milk.
- Step 6: Lastly, drizzle some vanilla syrup.
Serve it immediately to enjoy its different layers and taste.
If you like to have it cold, add Ice and make a little change in the process. The ingredients and measurements will remain the same.
Iced caramel macchiato upside down
- Step 1: Brew some fresh espresso, as mentioned above.
- Step 2: Keep it aside and allow it to cool down. You can use ice cubes to accelerate cooling.
- Step 3: Pour the caramel into the cup.
- Step 4: Pour the prepared and completely cooled espresso coffee.
- Step 5: Now, slowly add the milk.
- Step 6: Add ice cubes to make the drink chilled. You can adjust according to your need.
- Step 7: Add some vanilla syrup and serve it immediately for the best taste.
How to order Upside Down Caramel Macchiato at Starbucks
Upside Down Caramel Macchiato is one of the most demanded drinks at Starbucks. So, you can ask for it with your required customization, and the barista will prepare it the way you want.
However, if you order it through the Starbucks App, follow these steps.
- Step 1: Go to “view shots options.”
- Step 2: Keep scrolling until you see the “shot prep” option.
- Step 3: Here, select “upside-down.”
Moreover, to get an upside-down caramel macchiato, you must order “a vanilla latte with drizzled caramel.”
Nutritional Information of Upside Down Caramel Macchiato
According to Starbucks, here are the approximate nutrient values of an Upside Down Caramel Macchiato (iced).
150 gm (approx.)
These numbers are based on the standard recipe used at Starbucks. The exact nutritional values will depend on how you customize your coffee.
Difference Between A Regular Caramel Macchiato And An Upside Down Caramel Macchiato
When it comes to the difference between a regular and Upside Down Caramel Macchiato, the main difference is how syrup is added to the given Macchiato.
For regular Caramel Macchiato, the syrup is added in the last step to change flavor and taste as per the syrup test.
On the other hand, while making Upside Down Caramel Macchiato, the syrup is added first. So when you drink this delicious drink, you will notice a change in taste and flavor.
One more important difference between both coffee is their caffeine content. Upside Down Caramel Macchiato is a very strong coffee; if you are caffeine sensitive, you might find it difficult to consume. While regular Caramel Macchiato is not so strong, and you can drink it easily. So always take care of this while ordering your favorite coffee at Starbucks.
1. How many calories are in an Upside Down Caramel Macchiato?
Ans: The Starbucks Upside Down Caramel Macchiato generally has 250 calories in 1 serving (16 oz). It will vary if you customize your drink.
2. Can I customize my Upside Down Caramel Macchiato with different flavors or milk options?
Ans: Starbucks lets you customize your Upside Down Caramel Macchiato with different milk options. A few non-dairy milk options are available if you avoid regular milk. If you need a different flavor, you can ask for a change in the amount of caramel sauce, espresso, or milk.
3. Is the Upside Down Caramel Macchiato more expensive than a regular Caramel Macchiato?
Ans: The Upside Down Caramel Macchiato can be slightly more costly than a regular Caramel Macchiato at Starbucks.
4. Can the Upside Down Caramel Macchiato be made with non-dairy milk options?
Ans: An Upside Down Caramel Macchiato can be made with non-dairy milk options. You can make it with almond, soy, or coconut milk.
Whether you are an experienced coffee enthusiast or just looking for a new way to enjoy your break, the upside down caramel macchiato is definitely worth trying. By reversing the order of adding the ingredients, you can enjoy a more consistent and evenly flavored coffee that will satisfy your caffeine cravings.
Starbucks Nitro Cold Brew Caffeine
How Long Does Coffee Bloat Last?